In Fort Lauderdale, Florida, there is a wide variety of internet options for both businesses and residents which are covered in this Internet Buyer’s Guide. The market offers low-priced, budget-friendly options, as well as the most robust, high-speed options for those whose needs demand more. In addition, there are a variety of internet types available, including DSL, cable, fiber, and satellite.
Residential Internet Providers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
|Provider||Starting Price||Speed Range||Type Of Internet||Coverage Availability|
|AT&T Internet||$35/mo.||100-940 Mbps||IPBB, Fiber||100% IPBB, 92% Fiber|
|XFINITY from Comcast||$30/mo.||50-1200 Mbps||Cable||100% Cable|
|EarthLink||$49.95/mo.||7-1000 Mbps||DSL, Fiber||100% DSL, 84% Fiber|
|Blue Stream||$39.95/mo.||250-1000 Mbps||Cable||100% Cable|
The table above summarizes Fort Lauderdale internet providers with the greatest coverage locally.
Fastest Internet Providers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
|Provider||Maximum Speed||Price Range|
|XFINITY from Comcast||1200 Mbps||$30-70/mo.|
|EarthLink Fiber||1000 Mbps||$49.95-99.95/mo.|
|Blue Stream||1000 Mbps||$39.95-49.95/mo.|
|Atlantic Broadband||1000 Mbps||$34.99-59.99/mo.|
The providers above offer the fastest download speeds currently available to Fort Lauderdale residents.
What type of internet is available in Fort Lauderdale?
In Fort Lauderdale, residents and businesses have the following types of internet service available: DSL, cable, satellite, fiber-optic, and copper.
- DSL: DSL internet service is widely available throughout Fort Lauderdale. Several companies offer this type of internet, and it is considered to be affordable, particularly for those who require less speed and data.
- Cable: Like cable TV, cable internet is powered by cable wires. Cable internet is widely available and is used throughout the Fort Lauderdale area. Typically, cable offers higher speeds than DSL internet.
- Fiber-Optic: Fiber-optic internet operates using strands of glass, producing some of the fastest internet speeds available. This type of internet is known to perform at higher levels than DSL and cable, and it continues to grow in availability throughout Fort Lauderdale.
- Satellite: Satellite internet uses a dish to receive internet via satellite. Satellite internet is yet another option for broadband service in Fort Lauderdale, particularly in areas where other coverage is not available.
- Copper: Utilizing copper wiring for broadband connection, copper internet is an option for businesses in Fort Lauderdale. However, it may have slower speeds than other internet types.
As you research internet options in Fort Lauderdale, keep in mind that not all internet types are available in certain areas of the city.
How do I find the cheapest internet option in Fort Lauderdale?
If you’d like to find the cheapest options for internet in Fort Lauderdale, it’s reassuring to know there are many economical choices available. There are a total of 12 residential and 21 business providers to choose from. Some of Fort Lauderdale’s lowest-priced internet plans are available from XFINITY from Comcast, Atlantic Broadband and AT&T Fiber, with rates starting as low as $30/month.
Cheapest internet in Fort Lauderdale
- XFINITY from Comcast—$30/mo. for up to 50 Mbps *
- Atlantic Broadband—$34.99/mo. for up to 50 Mbps *
- AT&T Fiber—$35/mo. for up to 300 Mbps *
- Blue Stream—$39.95/mo. for up to 250 Mbps *
- HughesNet—$39.99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
How Much Internet Speed Do I Need In Fort Lauderdale?
Fort Lauderdale has experienced tremendous growth and is home to approximately 180,000 people, of which over 43,000 are students. The business climate is booming, with industries such as software technology, healthcare, tourism, financial services, and international trade driving this growth and fueling job prospects. As a result, there is a great need for reliable, fast internet service.
With a variety of internet providers, internet types, and speeds, it’s important to know the basics of internet speeds before committing to a plan to ensure the service you select supports your needs. If you just want an internet connection to browse the web or online shop, you’ll want speeds of at least 25 Mbps. For heavy duty gamers, streamers, or students downloading large files, you’ll need at least 100 Mbps. Large households of internet users should choose even faster speeds. If you’re looking for gigabit performance, speeds of at least 1000 Mbps are ideal.
Below are the recommended download speeds based on frequent internet activities and the residential providers in Fort Lauderdale that offer these speeds.
|Recommended Speeds||Type of Internet Activities||Internet Providers in Fort Lauderdale|
How do I find the fastest internet in Fort Lauderdale?
If you are searching for the fastest internet providers in Fort Lauderdale, there are numerous options to choose from on the market. Several companies offer speeds of 1200 Mbps, including XFINITY from Comcast, EarthLink Fiber, and Blue Stream. Prices, availability, and speed will vary by location and provider.
Should I bundle TV or phone service in Fort Lauderdale?
Many customers appreciate internet, TV, and phone service bundles because they often include cost-savings, convenience, and the simplicity of working with one company for all services. If you are searching for a bundle in Fort Lauderdale, you will be able to choose from providers like AT&T Internet and AT&T Fiber. Both providers offer various internet, TV, and/or home phone bundles.
Bundled Cable Plans and Pricing in Fort Lauderdale
|Internet Providers in Fort Lauderdale||Services||Price Range of Bundles|
|AT&T Internet||Internet + TV||$99.99-129.99/mo.|
|AT&T Fiber||Internet + TV||$129.99/mo.|
How can I compare the major internet providers in Fort Lauderdale?
When researching options for internet service in Fort Lauderdale, you should keep several factors in mind. Here are the most important aspects to consider:
- Price: Consider the monthly cost of each prospective internet service plan and what you are comfortable paying. Keep in mind the type of service vs. the cost to get the best value.
- Speed: Depending on your type and frequency of usage, internet speeds will play into your decision. Consider your browsing needs, the number of people who will use the connection, and how much streaming or gaming you partake in.
- Data Caps: Depending on your usage, you may need a higher data cap or no data cap. If your internet use is less frequent or not as demanding, a smaller cap may not be an issue.
- Contracts: Most internet service plans include a contract, with the majority of providers requiring a 1-year agreement, at a minimum. There are also no-contract plans available if you don’t want to sign a long-term agreement.
What do I need to keep in mind when moving to Fort Lauderdale?
If you are considering moving to Fort Lauderdale, whether you are local or not, you should be aware of several different things in terms of your internet service. In the event of a move, you may have to cancel your current internet service and sign up with a new provider.
If you are satisfied with the service from your current provider, you should research to see if it is possible to transfer your service upon moving to Fort Lauderdale. If your present provider is AT&T Internet and XFINITY from Comcast, both offer service in Fort Lauderdale.
If your plan is transferable, you may not have to cancel your contract and/or sign a new one. If you do have to cancel service and sign a new contract, you may be faced with early termination fees.
In regards to internet contracts, breaking a contract’s terms can result in early termination fees (ETF). The majority of internet providers in Fort Lauderdale require contracts for service ranging from 1-2 years with early termination fees that can be costly; fees range between $0-400. To avoid ETFs in Fort Lauderdale, you can sign up for a plan without a contract from providers like AT&T Internet. You might pay slightly more per month for this option, but it will help you avoid larger fees in the long run.
Installation Fees in Fort Lauderdale
The majority of internet providers in Fort Lauderdale offer the option of professional installation and/or self installation, but not all of them offer both options. Professional installation fees in Fort Lauderdale range from $0 to $99 and will vary depending on the provider and plan you choose.
How much data do you need for your home or business internet in Fort Lauderdale?
Fort Lauderdale has experienced massive growth in recent years, and in this bustling city, there is a very high demand for high speed internet. Businesses continue to expand, start up, and relocate to this area, and the city is also home to several colleges and universities. Data caps are not common in Fort Lauderdale, and most providers offer unlimited data. EarthLink and Viasat Internet, are a few of the city’s providers that offer plans with no data caps. If your only option is satellite internet, you will have smaller data caps that won’t be ideal for heavy internet users. Some AT&T Internet plans have a 1 TB data cap.
What are the most-connected neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale?
The most internet-connected areas of Fort Lauderdale include Colee Hammock, Coral Shores, Middle River Terrace, and Poinsettia Heights. The most common internet types include DSL, cable, fiber, and satellite. AT&T Internet and XFINITY from Comcast are the most common internet providers in the area.
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
Internet Statistics for Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Fort Lauderdale currently stands as the 56th most-connected city in Florida. This figure surpasses the neighboring cities of ahead of Dania.. Approximately 99 percent of Fort Lauderdale is serviced by several internet providers. The providers in the city with the most widespread coverage include AT&T Internet, XFINITY from Comcast and EarthLink. In terms of digital inclusivity, people in the county have access to one or no wired internet providers.