Internet Providers in Rockford, IL
Only showing providers serving 61101
Residential Internet Statistics for Rockford, IL
|Internet Service Providers:||5|
|Plans Start From:||$25|
|Top Download Speed:||1.2 Gbps|
|Fastest Connection Type:||Cable|
Top Internet Providers in 61101:
Showing 1 to 7 Providers
If you are considering moving to Rockford, Illinois, or you already reside in Rockford and are just looking to change internet providers, this Internet Buyer’s Guide will be a useful tool for you. It will provide you a breakdown of the speed, price, and availability of all the internet providers in the area for residents and businesses.
Residential Internet Providers in Rockford, IL
The table below summarizes Rockford internet providers with the greatest coverage locally.
|Provider||Starting Price||Speed Range||Type Of Internet||Coverage Availability|
|Xfinity||$25/mo.||50-1200 Mbps||Cable||96% Cable|
|AT&T Internet||$55/mo.||100 Mbps||IPBB||82% IPBB|
|Viasat Internet||$49.99/mo.||12-50 Mbps||Satellite||100% Satellite|
|HughesNet||$64.99/mo.||25 Mbps||Satellite||100% Satellite|
Fastest Internet Providers in Rockford, IL
|Provider||Maximum Speed||Price Range|
|T-Mobile 5G Home Internet||182 Mbps||$50+/mo.|
|AT&T Internet||100 Mbps||$55+/mo.|
|Rise Broadband||50 Mbps||$55-65/mo.|
The providers above offer the fastest download speeds currently available to Rockford residents.
What type of internet is available in Rockford?
Rockford internet providers offer DSL, fixed wireless, satellite, and cable options.
- DSL: Made accessible through phone lines, DSL speeds reach up to 25 Mbps in Rockford. This connection will be best for light internet users who just want to browse the web or send a few emails.
- Cable: Cable internet is a fast type of internet that typically isn’t too expensive. There are a few options to choose from in Rockford for cable internet.
- 5G Home Internet: 5G Home Internet is a speedy alternative to fixed wireless and satellite internet and doesn’t require cables like cable internet does. It’s a solid option for rural residents who want faster speeds and don’t have cable or fiber internet in their area.
- Fixed Wireless: Fixed wireless provides a signal via airwaves and connects to your home using an antenna. It is best for those who don’t have high-speed wired internet options available.
- Satellite: Just like there is satellite television, there is satellite internet as well. Satellite speeds typically reach up to 25 Mbps. It’s a good choice for those without any other options for internet.
Sometimes you won’t get to choose from all of these options in Rockford, as each type of internet has varying availability in the city.
How do I find the cheapest internet option in Rockford?
Rockford has 13 internet providers with 7 of those offering residential services. Xfinity, Rise Broadband and AT&T Internet offer the lowest-priced internet plans when compared to others in the city.
Cheapest internet in Rockford
- Xfinity—$25/mo. for up to 50 Mbps *
- Viasat Internet—$49.99/mo. for up to 12 Mbps *
- T-Mobile 5G Home Internet—$50/mo. for up to 182 Mbps *
- AT&T Internet—$55/mo. for up to 100 Mbps *
- Rise Broadband—$55/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
How Much Internet Speed Do I Need In Rockford?
There are a few internet providers with speeds reaching up to 1200 Mbps. Currently, there are not any fiber internet providers available to residents. While most providers in Rockford offer speeds up to 25 Mbps, that may not be enough for most families.
If you just use the internet for activities like online shopping, sending emails, or browsing, speeds of at least 25 Mbps should suffice. For households of more than 2 users, online gamers, or HD streamers, speeds of at least 100 Mbps are recommended. Larger households with more than 4 heavy internet users will want to consider plans with speeds up to 1,000 Mbps.
Below are the recommended download speeds based on frequent internet activities and the residential providers in Rockford that offer these speeds.
|Recommended Speeds||Type of Internet Activities||Internet Providers in Rockford|
How do I find the fastest internet in Rockford?
The fastest internet providers in Rockford are currently Xfinity and AT&T Internet. Both providers offer cable internet, currently the fastest internet type available to residents.
Should I bundle TV or phone service in Rockford?
Many times, bundling your internet with TV and/or phone service could provide a discount that wouldn’t be available if you buy these services individually. Viasat Internet, HughesNet, and Rise Broadband are the most available providers that offer double and triple play bundles in Rockford. You can get internet-only plans if you do not want a bundle at first.
Bundled Cable Plans and Pricing in Rockford
|Internet Providers in Rockford||Services||Price Range of Bundles|
|AT&T Internet||Internet + TV||$129.99-154.99/mo.|
How can I compare the major internet providers in Rockford?
There are four key items to focus on when deciding on your internet provider in Rockford.
- Price: Figure out just how much you want to spend per month on internet per month, including initial installation or activation fees and equipment fees.
- Speed: Knowing how much speed you need can save you money. The cost of plans can increase significantly depending on its speed.
- Data Caps: Check to see how much data you use per month to find which internet providers will be able to fulfill your needs.
- Contracts: Most internet providers will offer contracts ranging from 1-2 years. If you are thinking more short term, you’ll want a provider that offers contract-free plans. Month-to-month plans may cost more per month, but it may be worth it to avoid early termination fees.
What do I need to keep in mind when moving to Rockford?
Rockford is well known for its Fiat Chrysler assembly plant, as it employs over 4,000 people. With a population of about 150,000 people, Rockford has interesting places to visit such as its museums, Japanese gardens, and the city market. Whether it’s visiting short-term for a work contract or to become a new resident, keep in mind the potential costs of relocating your internet service.
If you are moving to Rockford in the near future and currently have a contract with an internet provider that also services Rockford, you may be able to transfer service to your new home with a simple phone call to the provider. However, if the provider isn’t available or you’re unhappy with their service, you may need to pay early termination fees.
You can avoid early termination fees by choosing a provider that offers contract-free plans. Cancelling a contract in Rockford can result in early termination fees ranging from $0-400.
Rise Broadband and Xfinity are two of the city’s largest providers that offer contract-free plans. Providers with contracts often last 1-2 years.
Installation Fees in Rockford
There are a couple of internet providers in Rockford that will waive the installation fee if you can manage the self-installation on your own. Providers may also waive installation fees when you bundle your internet with TV and/or home phone service. However, others can charge $0 to $99 for professional installation.
How much data do you need for your home or business internet in Rockford?
The amount of data you will need from your internet provider will depend on how many people are going to be using the internet and for what purposes. If you own a large business, you would be best served by an internet provider that does not have a data cap in Rockford, like Viasat Internet and Rise Broadband. If you are looking at home internet only, Xfinity and AT&T Internet offer plans with 1 TB of data per month.
What are the most-connected neighborhoods in Rockford?
Harrison Avenue Gardens and Edgewater are the most-connected neighborhoods in Rockford. These neighborhoods have three internet providers available, with residents often choosing between Rise Broadband and T-Mobile 5G Home Internet as they have the most coverage. Parts of Green View Heights and Downtown also have three providers available.
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
Internet Statistics for Rockford, Illinois
As the largest city outside of metro Chicago, Rockford is the 171st most-connected city in Illinois. Rockford University and the Saint Anthony College of Nursing need fast internet speeds, and around these areas there are average download speeds of 104 Mbps and 70.94 Mbps respectively. The average download speed for the city of Rockford is 228.8 Mbps. While Rockford is more connected than ahead of Loves Park, Cherry Valley, Roscoe, and Winnebago, approximately 5,000 people in Rockford without any internet access at all.
14.3% of consumers in Rockford27,000 People Only have access to 1 or fewer wired internet providers available at their address.
This data is calculated from FCC datasets which providers are legally required to supply twice a year. We further validate this data for accuracy.
Map of ISPs in Rockford
Frequently Asked Questions About Internet in Rockford, Illinois
Are you a journalist or researcher writing about this topic?
Contact us and we'll connect you with a broadband market expert on our team who can provide insights and data to support your work.