This Internet Buyer’s Guide is a comprehensive guide to all you need to know, including price hikes and extra fees you may incur, for residential and business internet in Brooklyn, New York. Knowing the full details on plans, prices and promotions will make it easier to determine which provider has the plan that’s best for you.
Residential Internet Providers in Brooklyn, NY
|Provider||Starting Price||Speed Range||Type Of Internet||Coverage Availability|
|Optimum by Altice||$45/mo.||300-1000 Mbps||Cable||100% Cable|
|Viasat Internet||$49.99/mo.||12-50 Mbps||Satellite||100% Satellite|
|HughesNet||$39.99/mo.||25 Mbps||Satellite||100% Satellite|
The table above summarizes Brooklyn internet providers with the greatest coverage locally.
Fastest Internet Providers in Brooklyn, NY
|Provider||Maximum Speed||Price Range|
|Optimum by Altice||1000 Mbps||$45-85/mo.|
|Viasat Internet||50 Mbps||$49.99-149.99/mo.|
The providers above offer the fastest download speeds currently available to Brooklyn residents.
What type of internet is available in Brooklyn?
Like most cities, Brooklyn has multiple internet types available, but DSL, Cable, Fiber, Fixed Wireless, and Satellite are the most popular choices.
- DSL: DSL internet is one of the most available internet types in Brooklyn with speeds suitable for a 1-2 person household or light internet user.
- Cable: Households in need of speed faster than DSL should consider cable internet which often has speeds able to reach 940 Mbps.
- Fiber-Optic: As the fastest internet type available, fiber internet is the first choice for those who use a great deal of data each month as its plans are often free of data caps.
- Fixed Wireless: Fixed wireless is ideal for those who live in parts of Brooklyn with less clutter. To receive signal, you’ll need a clear line of sight to the provider’s signal tower.
- Satellite: Those who do not have access to wired internet or a high-speed fixed wireless provider can still get internet access with satellite internet. It’s best to explore other internet types first as this type often has more connection delays than others.
Remember that each of the above internet types may not be available in your neighborhood in Brooklyn.
How do I find the cheapest internet option in Brooklyn?
Brooklyn residents have 6 providers to choose from while business owners have 9 available to them. When looking for the lowest-priced internet plans in Brooklyn, consider Optimum by Altice and BarrierFree. These are the providers with the most coverage and cheapest plans.
Cheapest internet in Brooklyn
- HughesNet—$39.99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
- Optimum by Altice—$45/mo. for up to 300 Mbps *
- Viasat Internet—$49.99/mo. for up to 12 Mbps *
- BarrierFree—$99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
How Much Internet Speed Do I Need In Brooklyn?
Truth be told, how much internet speed you need has nothing to do with where you live, especially in a city like Brooklyn where it’s a melting pot of all races and cultures. Everyone is looking for the fastest internet at the lowest price. Use your frequent internet activities and household size to determine the best speeds for your household.
Internet speeds of at least 25 Mbps are suitable for households of 1-2 light internet users. However, those who frequently upload large files like gamers and web designers will want speeds of 50-100 Mbps, or fiber optic internet which has upload and download speeds up to 940 Mbps in Brooklyn.
Below are the recommended download speeds based on frequent internet activities and the residential providers in Brooklyn that offer these speeds.
|Recommended Speeds||Type of Internet Activities||Internet Providers in Brooklyn|
How do I find the fastest internet in Brooklyn?
To find the fastest internet in Brooklyn, start by looking at plans from Optimum by Altice, Viasat Internet, and HughesNet. These providers offer some of the fastest speeds with plans reaching up to 940 Mbps.
Should I bundle TV or phone service in Brooklyn?
Bundling TV and/or home phone service with your internet often gives you a discount and extra perks depending on the provider. A few providers in Brooklyn, like Optimum by Altice, offer double and/or triple play plans. Carefully consider what combination you need for your bundle as some bundle plans require a contract.
Bundled Cable Plans and Pricing in Brooklyn
|Internet Providers in Brooklyn||Services||Price Range of Bundles|
|Optimum by Altice||Internet + Phone + TV||$70-120/mo.|
How can I compare the major internet providers in Brooklyn?
While it can seem like all internet providers offer the same features with their internet plans, focus on price, speed, data caps, and contracts to decide which provider has the plan that’s best for you.
- Price: Consider whether a plan has an introductory price. If so, does the regular rate plus potential equipment fees fit into your budget?
- Speed: Pay for the speed you need. Most providers allow customers to upgrade speeds without changing contract terms if you realize you need more speed.
- Data Caps: Look at your internet bills to see how much data your household and/or business typically uses.
- Contracts: If you plan to stay with the provider for more than one year, it may be worth considering a contract as some providers charge customers without contracts a higher monthly rate.
What do I need to keep in mind when moving to Brooklyn?
Within recent times, Brooklyn has become a thriving city for entrepreneurship, art and design, and technology startups. The internet is now a utility for residents and business owners, however, there are a few things to consider before deciding on an internet plan.
If you’re a newcomer, consider transferring your current internet plan to your new address. If your current provider is available, contact them to see if your plan is transferable. However, if you’re ready to switch providers, keep in mind the possible fees for terminating your contract early.
Internet providers often require a minimum one-year contract for their plans. If you cancel service before the year ends, you may have to pay early termination fees. In Brooklyn, early termination fees range between $0-400.
Contract lengths range from 0-2 years in Brooklyn. To avoid early termination fees, consider providers like Optimum by Altice who offer contract-free internet plans.
Installation Fees in Brooklyn
Professional installation fees in Brooklyn range from $0 to . If you opt for self-installation, you may be able to reduce your installation fees or avoid them altogether.
How much data do you need for your home or business internet in Brooklyn?
Like internet speed, knowing how much data you need depends on your household and/or business size and frequent internet activities. Starting a technology startup in Brooklyn will require high data caps, ideally of at least 1 TB or higher. Providers like BarrierFree offer plans with a 1 TB data cap while providers like Viasat Internet offer unlimited data with select plans.
What are the most-connected neighborhoods in Brooklyn?
Almost all of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn have 3-4 internet providers available, however, the most-connected neighborhoods are near Clinton Hill, Bushwick, and Prospect Heights with DSL, fiber and fixed wireless internet having the most coverage. The most available internet providers throughout Brooklyn are Optimum by Altice and BarrierFree.
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
Internet Statistics for Brooklyn, New York
As the 58th most-connected city in New York and one of the most thriving, evolving boroughs in New York City, Brooklyn has multiple internet providers available to nearly 100 percent of its residents. The city has an average download speed of 124.5 Mbps and is more connected than ahead of Middle Village, Ridgewood, Howard Beach, and Breezy Point.. With such a dense population, there are a few, approximately people, with access to only one or fewer wired internet providers. With fixed wireless internet’s wide coverage in Brooklyn, these residents may still have access to high-speed internet.