If you are shopping for the internet in Buffalo, New York, our robust Internet Buyer’s Guide will cover fundamental facts and provide valuable insights to help you make an informed decision between the 25 internet providers available in Buffalo.
Residential Internet Providers in Buffalo, NY
|Provider||Starting Price||Speed Range||Type Of Internet||Coverage Availability|
|Spectrum||$49.99/mo.||100-940 Mbps||Cable||100% Cable|
|Consolidated Communications (Formerly Fairpoint Communications)||$24.95/mo.||6-1000 Mbps||DSL, Fiber||5% DSL, 2% Fiber|
|Viasat Internet (formerly Exede)||$49.99/mo.||12-100 Mbps||Satellite||100% Satellite|
|HughesNet||$39.99/mo.||25 Mbps||Satellite||100% Satellite|
The table above summarizes Buffalo internet providers with the greatest coverage locally.
Fastest Internet Providers in Buffalo, NY
|Provider||Maximum Speed||Price Range|
|Viasat Internet (formerly Exede)||100 Mbps||$49.99-99.99/mo.|
The providers above offer the fastest download speeds currently available to Buffalo residents.
What type of internet is available in Buffalo?
There is a diverse selection of internet types available in Buffalo including DSL, cable, fiber-optic, and satellite.
- DSL: DSL is one of the most affordable options for internet service in Buffalo. This type of internet runs through existing phone lines and is a great option for individuals using the internet lightly.
- Cable: Cable internet service runs through the same cable wires as standard cable television. This type of internet tends to be faster and can cost more than DSL.
- Fiber-Optic: Fiber-optic internet is the fastest internet available in Buffalo and is significantly faster than DSL and cable.
- Satellite: Satellite internet is the best option for Buffalo residents living in areas with limited broadband connections. It operates using a dish installed somewhere on your property which communicates with satellites in space to deliver your internet connection.
Comparing these options can assist you in choosing the most appropriate type of internet for your lifestyle and internet usage needs. However, keep in mind that not all areas in Buffalo will have each connection type available.
How do I find the cheapest internet option in Buffalo?
With 7 residential providers to choose from, Spectrum, Consolidated Communications (Formerly Fairpoint Communications) and Consolidated Communications offer some of the cheapest internet plans in Buffalo.
Cheapest internet in Buffalo
- Consolidated Communications (Formerly Fairpoint Communications)—$24.95/mo. for up to 20 Mbps *
- HughesNet—$39.99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
- Spectrum—$49.99/mo. for up to 100 Mbps *
- Viasat Internet (formerly Exede)—$49.99/mo. for up to 12 Mbps *
How Much Internet Speed Do I Need In Buffalo?
Buffalo, affectionately referred to as ‘The Queen City’, has a large number of businesses and residents. The majority of residents in Buffalo are searching for a plan that offers the fastest internet speeds at a price that is cost-effective. However, the fastest internet speed is not a necessity for everyone. It is helpful to consider how you use the internet and the size of your household or business when deciding how much speed you need.
Internet users who only need the internet for light browsing require minimal speeds of 25 Mbps, which is ideal for checking email and browsing the internet. For heavy internet users who regularly stream videos and participate in competitive online gaming, it’s best to select a plan that offers download speeds of at least 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps for larger households and/or businesses.
Below are the recommended download speeds based on frequent internet activities and the residential providers in Buffalo that offer these speeds.
|Recommended Speeds||Type of Internet Activities||Internet Providers in Buffalo|
How do I find the fastest internet in Buffalo?
At present, the fastest internet speeds in Buffalo, NY are supplied by Spectrum and Consolidated Communications with download speeds up to 1000 Mbps. Take a look at the available plans offered by each provider and see if their options meet your needs, lifestyle, budget, and other preferences.
Should I bundle TV or phone service in Buffalo?
There are two main internet providers in Buffalo offering bundled deals which include TV, phone service, and/or internet: Spectrum. It helps to consider the prices, advantages, and services that are available with bundled options. If only internet is required at this time, there are many providers that offer standalone internet plans.
Bundled Cable Plans and Pricing in Buffalo
|Internet Providers in Buffalo||Services||Price Range of Bundles|
|Spectrum||Internet + Phone + TV||$89.98-152.97/mo.|
How can I compare the major internet providers in Buffalo?
As you search for the best internet providers in Buffalo, it is helpful to consider some main factors prior to making a final selection:
- Price: Consider the ideal price you will feel comfortable paying each month for your service, whether you are a new college graduate or getting ready to retire.
- Speed: If you’re a business owner in the Buffalo area or a large family, speed will have a major impact on how you use the internet. Remember, having a high amount of people and/or devices connected to your network will require a lot of speed to keep everyone satisfied.
- Data Caps: Your data cap requirement will depend on the amount of data that your home or business in Buffalo uses on a monthly basis.
- Contracts: If you plan on living in Buffalo, NY for a short amount of time or on a temporary basis, then it helps to find a contract-free plan from a provider like Spectrum. However, if you will be there long term, then you can consider internet plans that are contracted.
What do I need to keep in mind when moving to Buffalo?
If you are considering a move to the Buffalo area, whether you plan on living near the vibrant downtown Buffalo scene or in the more remote areas of Hamburg, there are some main points to consider as you think of switching from your present internet provider and choosing a new one.
If you are moving to the city of Buffalo, you will want to review the above listings to find out if your current internet provider offers service in Buffalo. Then, you will want to contact them to see if you can transfer your current plan to your new home. If you are unable to transfer, you may have to pay early termination fees.
Early termination fees occur when you switch from a provider that has a contract in place prior to the contract ending. Internet providers who have early termination fees in Buffalo have fees ranging from $0-400. Prior to canceling your internet service, make sure you review your contract to find out if there are any early termination fees you’ll have to pay. Make sure to consider all of your options by shopping around to see how you can get the best deal since some providers offer to pay off early termination fees when you sign up with them.
In Buffalo, there are a few internet providers that have contract-free plans. However, make sure to read over the fine print prior to committing so that you can determine whether a contracted plan or a contract-free plan would best serve your needs.
Installation Fees in Buffalo
Typically, most internet users prefer to avoid installation fees, however, many internet providers include them in the price of new service. If you are moving to the Buffalo area, be advised that some providers will charge installation fees which can range in price from $0 to . A benefit to ordering service online is that many providers will waive the installation and service fee for online orders.
How much data do you need for your home or business internet in Buffalo?
Heavy gamers and video streamers will want to choose an internet provider that offers a generous data cap or does away with data caps altogether. In Buffalo, the largest employment sector is healthcare. This means that doctors and healthcare professionals may need larger data caps for uploading and downloading files from home. It’s easy to find a provider that doesn’t have data caps as all residential providers in Buffalo do not have data caps.
What are the most-connected neighborhoods in Buffalo?
Most neighborhoods in Buffalo, from Riverside all the way down to First Ward, have access to three providers. The majority of neighborhoods in Buffalo have access to different types of internet with fiber being the most preferred. However, many residents choose Spectrum and Consolidated Communications (Formerly Fairpoint Communications) which have the greatest coverage.
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
Internet Statistics for Buffalo, New York
Known as ‘The City of Light’ with an average download speed of 82.7 Mbps, Buffalo, NY is ranked as the 88th most connected city in the state of New York, ahead of neighboring ahead of Orchard Park, Tonawanda, Depew, Lancaster, and Grand Island.. Currently, about people in Buffalo only have access to no more than one wired internet provider.