If you’re looking for fast and affordable internet for your home or business in Cleveland, Ohio, then this Internet Buyer’s Guide will point you in the right direction. Our guide provides in-depth information on internet pricing, speeds, deals, and bundles that are available in the Cleveland area.
Residential Internet Providers in Cleveland, OH
|Provider||Starting Price||Speed Range||Type Of Internet||Coverage Availability|
|Spectrum||$49.99/mo.||100-1000 Mbps||Cable||100% Cable|
|AT&T Internet||$35/mo.||100-940 Mbps||IPBB, Fiber||100% IPBB, 94% Fiber|
|Cox Communications||$29.99/mo.||25-1000 Mbps||Cable||100% Cable|
|EarthLink||$49.95/mo.||7-1000 Mbps||DSL, Fiber||100% DSL, 94% Fiber|
The table above summarizes Cleveland internet providers with the greatest coverage locally.
Fastest Internet Providers in Cleveland, OH
|Provider||Maximum Speed||Price Range|
|Cox Communications||1000 Mbps||$29.99-99.99/mo.|
|EarthLink Fiber||1000 Mbps||$49.95-99.95/mo.|
The providers above offer the fastest download speeds currently available to Cleveland residents.
What type of internet is available in Cleveland?
Throughout Cleveland, there are several internet types available: Fixed Wireless, Cable, DSL, Fiber-Optic, and Satellite.
- Fixed Wireless: In the rural areas of Greater Cleveland, you can receive reliable access to fixed wireless internet through signals from cell phone towers.
- Cable: Cable internet uses the same cords as cable TV to allow access to broadband services in your home or at work. Cable speeds tend to be higher than DSL, so you’ll usually pay more for this service.
- DSL: DSL is one of the most affordable internet options in Cleveland, utilizing telephone lines to offer speeds up to 100 Mbps for light internet usage.
- Fiber-Optic: Fiber-Optic internet provides the highest speeds for heavy internet users, with speeds ranging from 50-1000 Mbps.
- Satellite: If you live in an area of Cleveland that is not covered by cable, DSL, or fiber internet and want more speed than fixed wireless provides, then satellite internet, which connects to a satellite dish installed on a roof or balcony of your home or business, might be an option for you.
When researching your internet options, be aware that not all internet types will be available in every Cleveland location.
How do I find the cheapest internet option in Cleveland?
WOW!, Cox Communications and AT&T Fiber offer some of the most affordable internet plans in Cleveland with speeds ranging from 3-1000 Mbps. Cleveland residents and business owners have a total of 43 internet providers—15 residential providers and 28 business providers— to choose from, each offering an array of prices and internet speeds.
Cheapest internet in Cleveland
- WOW!—$19.99/mo. for up to 100 Mbps *
- Cox Communications—$29.99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
- AT&T Fiber—$35/mo. for up to 300 Mbps *
- East Cleveland Cable TV and Communications—$39.95/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
- HughesNet—$39.99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
How Much Internet Speed Do I Need In Cleveland?
Known for its technology-focused healthcare and deep roots in rock music, sports, and the arts, Cleveland’s way of life is accelerated, and it comes as no surprise that fast internet speeds are an everyday necessity. However, not all households or businesses require the fastest speeds.
Light internet users who simply browse the internet and check emails need speeds of at least 25 Mbps, while households with smart home technology or competitive gaming enthusiasts will benefit from speeds up to 100 Mbps—faster speeds up to 1000 Mbps are recommended for power internet users, especially for households with three to four members.
Below are the recommended download speeds based on frequent internet activities and the residential providers in Cleveland that offer these speeds.
|Recommended Speeds||Type of Internet Activities||Internet Providers in Cleveland|
How do I find the fastest internet in Cleveland?
With speeds up to 1000 Mbps, Spectrum, WOW!, and EarthLink Fiber are providers that currently offer some of the fastest internet in Cleveland. Fiber-optic coverage is unavailable in many Cleveland locations, so be sure to check with the internet providers available in your area.
Should I bundle TV or phone service in Cleveland?
Many internet providers in Cleveland offer bundled deals with internet, phone, and/or TV service, such as Spectrum, AT&T Internet, and Cox Communications. Bundled options can help Clevelanders save significant money each month. If you plan to subscribe to a phone and/or TV service in addition to internet, contact providers to learn more about the financial and broadband benefits of their bundles.
Bundled Cable Plans and Pricing in Cleveland
|Internet Providers in Cleveland||Services||Price Range of Bundles|
|Spectrum||Internet + Phone + TV||$89.98-152.97/mo.|
|AT&T Internet||Internet + TV||$99.99-129.99/mo.|
|AT&T Fiber||Internet + TV||$129.99/mo.|
|Cox Communications||Internet + Phone + TV||$129.99-209.99/mo.|
How can I compare the major internet providers in Cleveland?
Cleveland residents and business owners have several options for internet services, so consider the following imperative points as you shop:
- Price: Whether you’re a student at Cleveland State University or a surgeon at University Hospitals, you likely have a budget for monthly bills. Consider how much you feel comfortable spending on your internet plan each month.
- Speed: Do you download heavy-loaded files for work at home? Will you be spending time between classes streaming movies on your laptop? Your internet speed plays a crucial role in what you can do on the web, so be sure to consider your home or business internet usage when deciding on a plan.
- Data Caps: Cleveland households and businesses that use the internet consistently throughout the day or for high-data tasks, like competitive gaming, may be impacted by data cap limitations and their overage charges. AT&T Internet and Cox Communications are some providers that offer plans without any data cap restrictions.
- Contracts: Most internet providers in Cleveland will involve a 1-year contract. If you plan to move to another neighborhood or outside of the city, you’ll want to consider signing up with a provider that offers contract-free plans, such as Spectrum.
What do I need to keep in mind when moving to Cleveland?
If you plan to move to Cleveland—whether it be to pursue a higher education at Cleveland State University, enjoy the swanky city life in the new high-rises on Euclid Avenue, or to start a new job in the Gordon Square Arts District—you’ll need to consider a few key points when it comes time to cancel or switch internet providers.
You may be able to keep your current internet provider if the provider services the area of Cleveland you’re moving to. Call the company to ask about their coverage availability in regards to your new location and if your current plan will change upon moving.
If you decide to cancel your internet service, be prepared to face early termination fees. Internet providers in Cleveland have early termination fees ranging from $0-400. Be sure to read your contract in full before cancelling.
Most internet providers in Cleveland require a contract with a commitment of 0-1 year. Spectrum is one of the few Cleveland providers that offers contract-free plans.
Installation Fees in Cleveland
Most internet providers charge installation fees, whether you opt for professional installation or self-installation. Depending on the plan you select, professional installation fees in Cleveland range from $0 to $99. Sometimes, providers waive installation fees with select plans, especially when you bundle services.
How much data do you need for your home or business internet in Cleveland?
Clevelanders utilize the internet for everything—from connecting to electronic medical records to using delivery apps for food and groceries. If you are a power internet user, data caps can hinder your ability to stay connected to the web. Spectrum and Viasat Internet are providers in Cleveland that offer no data caps with select internet plans. AT&T Internet is one of the few providers that offers a 1 TB data cap, which is an enormous amount of data.
What are the most-connected neighborhoods in Cleveland?
Most areas of Cleveland have at least two internet providers available, while areas like Downtown, Ohio City, North Coast Harbor, and Irishtown Bend have at least three providers to choose from. The most common types of internet coverage in Cleveland are cable and DSL. Leading with the greatest coverage availability, Spectrum and Mango Bay Internet are the most popular internet providers in Cleveland.
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
- Bay Village, OH
- Beachwood, OH
- Bratenahl, OH
- Brooklyn, OH
- Brooklyn Heights, OH
- Brookpark, OH
- Cleveland Heights, OH
- East Cleveland, OH
- Fairview Park, OH
- Garfield Heights, OH
- Highland Hills, OH
- Independence, OH
- Lakewood, OH
- Lore City, OH
- Maple Heights, OH
- Parma, OH
- Parma, OH
- Parma Heights, OH
- Rocky River, OH
- Seven Hills, OH
- Shaker Heights, OH
- South Euclid, OH
- Warrensville Heights, OH
Internet Statistics for Cleveland, Ohio
As one of the fastest-growing locations in the U.S. for healthcare and tech jobs, Cleveland currently ranks as the 48th most internet-connected city in Ohio. With DSL and cable networks available throughout most of the city, 100% of Clevelanders have access to at least one internet provider. Spectrum, Mango Bay Internet and EarthLink offer the most widespread coverage to Clevelenders. Still, only 29% of Cleveland has access to a fiber-optic network. Cleveland’s average download speeds are 45.6 Mbps, which is lower than the Ohio average, but it remains more connected than several of its neighboring towns and cities, including ahead of Lakewood.. About people in Cleveland either have access to only one wired connection or do not have access to any broadband services, but it doesn’t seem to affect its ever-growing, tech-focused population.