In addition to those referenced in the previous pages, the following Request For Comments provide additional information on the Domain Name System architecture, development, and security issues:
- RFC 920; Postel, J.; Reynolds, J.; Domain Requirements, Oct 1984
- RFC 973; Mockapetris, P.; Domain System Changes and Observations; Jan 1986
- RFC 1034; Mockapetris, P.; Domain Names – Concepts and Facilities; November 1987
- RFC 1035; Mockapetris, P.; Domain Names – Implementation and Specification, November 1987
- RFC 1591; Postel, J.; Domain Name System Structure and Delegation; March 1994
- RFC 1876; Davis, C.; Vixie, P.; Goodwin, T.; Dickinson, I.; A Means for Expressing Location Information in the Domain Name System; January, 1996
- RFC 2181; Elz, R.; Bush, R.; Clarifications to the DNS Specification; July, 1997
- RFC 2308; Andrews, M.; Negative Caching of DNS Queries (DNS NCACHE); March, 1998
- RFC 3467; Klensin, J.; Role of the Domain Name System; February, 2003
- RFC 3490; Hoffman, P., Costello, A.; Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA); March 2003
- RFC 3696; J. Klensin; Application Techniques for Checking and Transformation of Names; February 2004
- RFC 3833; D. Atkins; R. Austein; Threat Analysis of the Domain Name System (DNS); August 2004.
The following sites provide more information on the DNS:
Are you researching the early history of the internet?
Contact us and we'll connect you with an internet expert that can support your work.