When Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are ranked, ExpressVPN is often at the top of the list, including our Best VPN list. They call themselves the “#1 Trusted Leader in VPN” and back this claim by maintaining a strict no-log policy — ExpressVPN only keeps track of basic browsing data, such as which server you use and how much data you transfer. Below, we give an overview of ExpressVPN’s features, prices, server locations, and how the service works.
ExpressVPN has many of the same features that their competition does. The primary differences between VPNs lie in the availability of servers across the world, the subscription options each company offers, and differences in features. Here are some of the features ExpressVPN offers its subscribers:
- VPN Split Tunneling — Allows you to choose which apps and websites can use the VPN. This is a great feature if you don’t need a VPN for all of your online use.
- Network Kill Switch — If the VPN network detects a security threat, it will shut down.
- Private DNS – ExpressVPN has its own network and does not share it with another company.
- No-activity logs — ExpressVPN does not keep logs of your online activity.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee — You have 30 days to try out; if you don’t like them you get your money back.
- 24/7 Support Email Live Chat — They are available for questions 24/7.
- Platform Availability — Their systems include Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux.
- 256-Bit AES Encryption — Higher bit encryption ensures your online privacy.
- Available in 94 Countries — Available across the globe.
- Unlimited Bandwidth — No limit on how much you download or upload.
- Use Five Devices Simultaneously — Use phones, laptops, desktops, TVs, or any streaming devices — all at the same time.
- 160 Server Locations — More server locations ensure a stronger connection over a wider area.
How Does ExpressVPN Work?
ExpressVPN masks your IP address with theirs when you’re online. The way ExpressVPN works is not much different than most VPN providers. However, streaming fans will be more fond of ExpressVPN than certain providers like Encrypt.me since ExpressVPN supports streaming services such as Netflix and Disney Plus.
When using a VPN, it’s understood your data is seen by your provider. However, some VPN providers maintain records of your data, including your browsing history. Those in need of 100 percent privacy will be happy to know ExpressVPN does not keep track of identifiable information, nor are they required to share your information with the government. Since the company’s based in the British Virgin Islands, it’s a plus for U.S. citizens who don’t want “Big Brother” looking over their shoulder. Unfortunately, internet speed is affected by distance. ExpressVPN’s 3,000+ servers are spread across 94 countries; however, some may notice a difference in internet speed as ExpressVPN decreased our download speeds by almost half.
ExpressVPN Server Locations (Other than the U.S.)
- Costa Rica
- Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- Isle of Man
- North Macedonia
- United Kingdom
- Brunei Darussalam
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
The Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
ExpressVPN Subscription and Pricing
Like most VPN plans, ExpressVPN offers three plans. However, they differ in one area: instead of their third option being a two-year plan, they choose to offer a six-month plan, making their longest plan only one year long.
|1 Month||6 Months||12 Months (+3 months)|
|$155.40 per year ($12.95 billed each month)||$119.98 per year ($59.99 every six months)||$99.95 every 12 months|
|30-day money-back guarantee||30-day money-back guarantee||30-day money-back guarantee|
ExpressVPN’s one-year plan is among the highest-priced in the industry. Comparing their 12-month plan with competitors, CyberGhost charges customers $3.99/month($47.88/yr), and Private Internet Access offers a 24-month plan for $2.69 per month ($69.95/year). Express VPN attributes their higher price to their ability to run a more reliable, ultrafast, and secure platform; they even refer to other VPN platforms as “budget providers.”
ExpressVPN also accepts a wide range of payment methods, probably more extensive than most VPNs we’ve seen. They accept your typical credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, and Amex. But they also accept most internet currency like PayPal, Bitcoin, and Mint. Others include Maestro, WebMoney, and Carte Bleue. Their site provides additional listings.
The biggest deal ExpressVPN offers is 49 percent off when signing up for the 12-month package. You will receive three months free with this package.
They also have a referral program which is fairly decent: for every customer you bring them, you will receive 30 days of free service.
And while not necessarily a discount or perk, it’s worth a mention that ExpressVPN offers an annual scholarship contest that awards $5,000 to a student based on their winning essay.
ExpressVPN Free Trial
Every VPN, it seems, will give its customers a trial period and ExpressVPN is no different. They offer their potential customers a 30-day money-back subscription to test out their product. This trial period does not have any limitations; you have full access to their product for the entire trial period.
However, one important thing to note: Users who purchase their subscription through an app store like Google Play or Apple instead of through the ExpressVPN website do not have access to the money-back guarantee. This is important to understand when purchasing your subscription. You will still have access to all customer features, just not the money-back guarantee should you be dissatisfied with the service.
How to Cancel ExpressVPN
If you are within the 30-day trial period, it is rather simple to cancel your ExpressVPN subscription. Their site has instructions on how to complete the process. The only difficulty would be in how you pay for your subscription. Each platform requires a different method of canceling.
For those who use a credit card or PayPal, you can cancel your subscription in four to five steps:
- Sign in to your ExpressVPN account.
- Click on the subscription tab, and you’ll see both the length and renewal date of your subscription.
- Now, click the Manage Subscription Settings tab. It will redirect you to the Automatic Renewal Settings page, where you’ll turn off automatic renewal.
- Confirm that you want to cancel your subscription. On the last page, it should alert you that the automatic renewal is off for your subscription.
- For those who use PayPal Instant Payment Notification, be sure to IPN as well.
Customers that paid using BitPay or Paymentwall will not see the manage settings link. Subscriptions will automatically cancel on the subscription’s end date.
Your cancellation means that you choose not to renew at the end of that contract period. You will still have access to the service for the remaining months of your current contracted period. The only way to receive a refund is to cancel within the first 30 days.
Is ExpressVPN any good?
ExpressVPN has been around since 2009, they are one of the largest VPN providers, and they rank at the top of the list of many best-of lists. They have active users in over 180 countries with over 3,000 servers in over 94 countries. They are amongst the leaders in the VPN space. As stated, they began in the British Virgin Islands and are known advocates for internet privacy and digital rights.
While they are on the upper end of the price scale, their ratings place them on the higher end of the popularity scale as well. Users seem to choose them over the competition in spite of the price. As we stated in the pricing portion, they see themselves as a reliable, ultrafast, and secure platform in a world with ‘budget providers.’ However, if the price is what you are aiming for, ExpressVPN may not be your best option. For more details on how ExpressVPN performs on desktop and mobile, visit our ExpressVPN Review page.