TunnelBear makes securing information accessible to everyone — even those with little to no computer knowledge. With their simplistic design and reasonable prices, TunnelBear can stay neck and neck with their competitors. Along with TunnelBear’s intuitive apps (and adorable grizzly), you can expect military-level encryption, no logging, and more options when signing up for a TunnelBear subscription. If low-cost plans and clear-cut apps are calling your name, check out what else TunnelBear has to offer, from their best features to information on free trials.
The extra benefits of signing up for a new service are usually top deciding factors, regardless of whether it’s for a VPN subscription or a new phone. TunnelBear is aware that while trust in a private connection is essential, it takes more to stand out from the crowd. Not only did TunnelBear show their firm view on security by regularly publishing security audits, they also have various other features available to consumers and businesses alike:
- Robust Encryption — TunnelBear currently uses AES-256-bit encryption. One way to think about it is by making a code and having a secret key to unlock the message. While a 4-bit key has 16 possible combinations, TunnelBear’s 256-bit has around 1.1 X 10⁷⁷ potential alternatives. While most Wi-Fi networks are protected by passwords, having an extra layer of protection helps keep confidential information safe.
- Global Network — At present, TunnelBear has 26 locations worldwide where secure internet browsing is available. Depending on the spot, specific servers may run slower or faster than the home country. While TunnelBear presently has a lower amount of servers than their competitors, VPN companies are constantly competing, leading to new features and possible expansion.
- Simple to Use App — TunnelBear has apps for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and more. If you can figure out how to turn an alarm on and off from your phone, then TunnelBear’s simple design will fit right in. Depending on the operating system, a map or widget will show up along with the on/off switch. TunnelBear provides safe and uncomplicated access to customers. It’s simple enough that even a grizzly could turn it on and off.
- Multiple Plan Options — There are several options available when signing up with TunnelBear for both consumers and businesses. If you have less than five devices, a single account will work. However, if over five devices need protection, multiple accounts are necessary. TunnelBear also offers a free plan for up to 500 MB of browsing each month, equivalent to around six hours of internet surfing.
- Kill Switch — One unique feature TunnelBear customers have access to is the VigilantBear mode. During those unfavorable times of lost connection, VigilantBear takes over and keeps your data safe while TunnelBear works on reconnecting. VigilantBear is available for Windows, macOS, and specific Android devices.
How Does TunnelBear Work?
With AES-256 data encryption, TunnelBear advertises that their system is secure against hackers, network owners, and any others trying to access personal data. TunnelBear reroutes their customers’ incoming and outgoing data through one of their servers. While information travels, it’s also jumbled up and unintelligible until it reaches its destination to keep unwanted eyes away.
TunnelBear servers are located in 26 different countries worldwide. Looking to explore the world but want your information to remain protected? Check out the following countries with access to TunnelBear:
TunnelBear VPN locations in The Americas
- United States
TunnelBear VPN locations in Europe
- The Netherlands
- The United Kingdom
TunnelBear VPN locations in Asia Pacific
- New Zealand
TunnelBear VPN Subscription and Pricing
TunnelBear is known for its easy-to-use system and stays true to keeping all aspects simple — from choosing a plan to downloading their apps. Below is a list of TunnelBear’s plans, pricing, and features:
|Monthly Plan Cost||Annual Plan Cost||Money-Back Guarantee||Devices||Data Limit|
|Free||Free||Free||N/A||1||500 MB per month|
|Unlimited||Starts at $3.33 per month||Starts at $59.88 every 12 months||Case-by-case||5||Unlimited|
|Teams||Starts at $5.75 per month||Starts at $207 every 12 months||Case-by-case||5 per user||Unlimited|
TunnelBear has several payment options for their Unlimited plan, which includes month-to-month, one year, and a three-year plan. Savings increase if you select the three-year plan. Though the month-by-month option is $9.99/month, it does allow users more flexibility and less commitment. While the free option is most cost-effective, users have a limit of only one device and 500 MB per month. One Unlimited plan allows for five devices. If you have more than five, you can create another account to protect the additional devices.
TunnelBear’s Teams plan allows companies that have more than two users to secure their confidential information. Pricing depends on the number of users and has a minimum requirement of three members. Each team member can protect up to five devices, and TunnelBear offers a designated account manager and an uncomplicated team management system to add or delete team members. When you delete members before the subscription cycle is over, TunnelBear will credit back unused time to the account. Businesses can also take advantage of the seven-day trial period to see if the Teams plan fits their needs.
Though there may not be many plans and extra options available with TunnelBear, their pricing is competitive against larger and more well-known VPN providers, such as ExpressVPN and SurfShark. TunnelBear offers a lower month-by-month payment of $9.99/month rather than $12.95/month, and comparable prices for their Unlimited plan. You may find additional savings depending on any deals that TunnelBear may offer.
TunnelBear VPN Deals in 2021
While TunnelBear doesn’t promote their three-year option as a regular plan, you can choose it under the Unlimited plan selection. The benefit of committing to a one- or three-year plan can save around 50 to 67 percent of the monthly costs. The cost comes out to as low as $3.33 per month as opposed to $9.99 per month with the month-to-month choice.
TunnelBear doesn’t currently offer any military or student discounts available. However, nonprofit organizations and businesses looking for a bulk rate can reach out to TunnelBear’s support team about possible savings.
TunnelBear VPN Free Trial
TunnelBear offers a free alternative for everyone and a seven-day trial period for business users. While there is a free choice, you can only use one device and 500 MB of data per month. TunnelBear will also prioritize customers with the Unlimited or Teams plan when there’s a customer service question. Companies interested in the Teams plan can perform a test run before purchasing for seven days. Features are all available but will expire if not purchased after the time limit.
How to Cancel TunnelBear
Fortunately, TunnelBear doesn’t have as many complex steps with canceling their service as they do with encrypting your data (which is a good thing, by the way). Depending on the device (i.e., iOS or Android), there may be a few differences in how you cancel. TunnelBear allows you to go into your account and find “cancel my subscription” under the overview tab. If you purchase TunnelBear through Google Play Store or the Apple App Store, you can cancel your subscriptions through the store account. TunnelBear offers instructions here.
Is TunnelBear Any Good?