Though Private Internet Access (PIA) offers many of the same features as other VPN providers, it is one of the most trusted VPNs available today. Private Internet Access has gained endorsements and positive reviews from a wide range of tech and media outlets, including Business Insider, Gizmodo, and Forbes.
However, it’s often difficult to discern between VPNs that seem comparable at first glance. Fortunately, Private Internet Access stands out in a number of ways. With VPN providers sharing so many similarities, below we cover what makes Private Internet Access unique and whether it’s right for you.
Best Features of Private Internet Access
On the surface, Private Internet Access seems like a pretty standard VPN. Fortunately, it does have a few key features that help it stand out from the competition:
- Ad and Malware Blocker — One reason to acquire a VPN is enhanced security. In addition to the privacy and security features that Private Internet Access provides, it also includes ad blockers and anti-malware capabilities. Not only does this get rid of annoying pop-ups, it also helps keep your network and devices safe from viruses and spyware.
- Up to 10 Devices — Most VPN providers allow you to use up to five devices at once (per subscription). Private Internet Access doubles the number of devices, allowing you to connect 10 devices simultaneously. This makes Private Internet Access a great choice for families or even small startups.
- No Traffic Logging — It seems counterintuitive to use a VPN for security if it keeps track of your internet activity, but many VPNs log your traffic data nonetheless. Fortunately, Private Internet Access doesn’t log any traffic. This means you can count on complete privacy from your VPN, ISP, and any other prying eyes with Private Internet Access.
- More Than 35,000 Servers — Private Internet Access has way more servers than most VPN providers. To put this into perspective, ExpressVPN has around 3,000 servers worldwide, while NordVPN has less than 6,000. So, what does this mean for you? Your proximity to a VPN server can affect your internet speed. Thus, with thousands of servers worldwide, you’re far more likely to be close to a server and experience faster speeds.
- 24/7 Customer Support — If you want to use your VPN all over the world, you’ll also want to be able to contact customer support from any time zone. This is why Private Internet Access offers 24/7 live chat support. Regardless of your location, you can contact a tech support team member at any time to troubleshoot issues with your VPN service.
How Does Private Internet Access Work?
Like most VPN services, Private Internet Access conceals your IP address, makes your data unreadable to others, and changes your virtual “location.” Private Internet Access is specifically designed to ensure that all of the applications on your device are private and secure — not just your web browser. Once you subscribe to a Private Internet Access plan, you can simply download the application and turn the VPN on to start using the service.
There are various reasons to start using a VPN like PIA. You have an added layer of cybersecurity, better privacy online, and access to region-specific content. This last feature is particularly important if you want to use services like Disney Plus or Hulu in a country where they are not available. Fortunately, Private Internet Access also masks your IP address and encrypts your data via AES-256 bit encryption. So, even though using a VPN to access Netflix is a violation of the streaming platform’s terms of service, you can rest easy knowing that your information is kept private and secure.
With more than 35,900 servers worldwide, Private Internet Access offers some of the fastest speeds to consumers across the globe. However, this doesn’t mean that you can sign up for a plan just anywhere. Here’s a list of more than 70 countries in which Private Internet Access is currently available:
North and South America
- United States
- The Bahamas
- The United Kingdom
- The Netherlands
- The Czech Republic
- North Macedonia
- Isle of Man
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Middle East
- United Arab Emirates
- Saudi Arabia
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
- The Philippines
- Sri Lanka
- South Africa
Private Internet Access Subscription and Pricing
Private Internet Access offers three plans based on term length: one month, one year, and two years. While the prices vary for each, the basic services remain the same for all three. That said, the two-year plan offers the best value for your money, as well as a few bonus features. More specifically, you get the first two months of service free of charge with the biannual plan, plus the Boxycryptor licensed software. Boxycryptor helps keep your cloud storage secure with end-to-end encryption. Below you’ll find a detailed breakdown of all three plans:
|Price (per month)||Price (per pay period)||Extra Features||Savings|
|Biannually||$2.69||$69.95||2 months free, Boxycryptor software||73%|
If you’re willing to opt for the biannual plan, you can get some of the best savings offered by any VPN provider. While HMA VPN offers a low-cost, three-year plan at just $2.99 per month, it still can’t compete with Private Internet Access. Most large competitors can’t even come close. For example, the cheapest plans from ExpressVPN and Hotspot Shield are $8.32 and $6.99 per month, respectively.
Private Internet Access Deals
The most common deals for Private Internet Access come in the form of discounted long-term plans. However, you can also find other deals if you’re willing to try third-party companies like Coupon Codes or Slick Deals. Additionally, Private Internet Access offers a student discount of $2.69 per month for two years, plus two free months via Student Beans.
Private Internet Access Free Trial
Unfortunately, Private Internet Access does not currently offer any free trials of its service. That said, you can sign up for a Private Internet Access plan with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you decide that you don’t want to continue your plan, you simply need to cancel your subscription and contact Private Internet Access customer service to confirm your refund.
How to Cancel Private Internet Access
It’s pretty easy to cancel a plan with Private Internet Access. You just have to sign in to your account, navigate to the “Subscription Overview” section, and turn off the auto-renewal feature. This process works the same with any web browser on desktops, notebooks, tablets, or mobile devices. You will still be able to access the service through the end of your current pay period, but once the period ends, you will not be charged for another period and your account will be effectively cancelled. If you’re within the 30-day money-back guarantee period, you will need to contact the live support team via email or live chat to arrange your refund.
Once you’ve cancelled your subscription, you’ll probably want to uninstall the PIA app from your device. The process varies slightly for every operating system. That said, you will always need to turn off the VPN, open the “Advanced Settings” tab, select “Settings,” then “Help,” and finally “Uninstall Private Internet Access.” You can find a picture guide for uninstalling the PIA app on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, routers, other hardware, and browsers right here.
Is Private Internet Access Any Good?
Private Internet Access has been around for more than a decade and has established a solid reputation in that time. The company currently has one of the largest server networks of any VPN provider — and it continues to grow every year. Since 2009, Private Internet Access has provided high-quality and user-friendly VPN services to millions of people around the world.
If you’re looking for the most cost-effective VPN on the market, Private Internet Access is a great choice. It may not have some of the bells and whistles that other VPNs provide, but it does offer strong security, privacy, and 24/7 customer support. So, if you want a reliable VPN for a fraction of the standard market price, Private Internet Access is the way to go.