ProtonVPN provides easy-to-use apps alongside 256-bit encryption to allow customers safe internet use while having the ability to access ProtonVPN’s additional features. From NetShield to various plan options and lengths, we’ve broken down ProtonVPN’s best features, pricing, deals, and more right here.
At a glance, ProtonVPN stands out from other VPNs because their home location is in Switzerland, but they offer more benefits than just privacy to their customers:
- NetShield — Each ProtonVPN server has dedicated domain name system servers, better known as DNS servers. These DNS filters help fight against ads, malware, and website trackers. NetShield offers three protection levels: don’t block, block malware, and block malware, ads, and tracking. ProtonVPN includes this feature with all of their paid plans.
- Full Disk Encryption — In addition to having a no-log system, ProtonVPN takes it a step further by encrypting all of their servers. For customers, this means that if someone attacks the server directly, whether from hackers or government agencies, their information will still not be available on the server — a true no-log system.
- Headquarters in Switzerland — Switzerland has strict privacy laws and is also outside of the Five, Nine, and 14 Eyes jurisdiction. While risk always exists, by being outside of the surveillance alliance, customer information is made more secure since ProtonVPN is less likely to be forced to track your data.
- User-Friendly Apps — ProtonVPN’s easy-to-use apps allow all users to have an excellent experience. It also lets users take full advantage of what they’re paying for since they can access and use all the features. For more advanced customers, there are specific features that allow customization, including the connection profile where you can adjust the type of connection for what you are doing (i.e., connect to the closest server when working from home).
- No Logging Policy — This policy applies to both paid and free ProtonVPN accounts. Since their headquarters are not under the surveillance alliance’s control, ProtonVPN can closely follow Switzerland’s privacy laws. This means the service doesn’t target specific users or contain any log history.
- Kill Switch — The switch automatically blocks any incoming traffic when there’s an interruption in your VPN connection. The kill switch is always on, so customers don’t have to worry about their IP location leaking out if the VPN server disconnects. The always-on feature also reconnects to the VPN server and saves customers time from finding an available server.
How Does ProtonVPN VPN Work?
The service protects user information, including browsing history, IP address, and DNS queries, using 256-bit keys to encrypt data in secure tunnels that keep internet intruders out. So, ProtonVPN acts as the windshield while driving your convertible during lovebug season and keeps all the pesky malware, hackers, and ads at bay. Using an assortment of protocols and features, they offer their customers a safer internet experience while maintaining the belief that people should have access to information without compromising their data.
ProtonVPN users can access Netflix and other streaming services while connected to the VPN. There are some limitations in content with a geo-restriction that calls for the Plus plan or higher. The premium account will let users access Plus servers around the world. Depending on the content, specific servers will work better to get around any location restrictions. Keep in mind that internet speed may decrease if you connect to a server that is far from your actual location.
On the bright side, the company has servers in 55 countries worldwide and over 1,200 servers that are up and running. If you are trying to plan a trip and need to know if your VPN will work in your vacation home, here are the countries with ProtonVPN servers:
ProtonVPN VPN locations in The Americas
- United States
- Costa Rica
ProtonVPN VPN locations in Europe
- Czech Republic
- The Netherlands
- Russian Federation
- United Kingdom
ProtonVPN VPN locations in Asia Pacific
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Korea
ProtonVPN VPN locations in The Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- The United Arab Emirates
ProtonVPN VPN Subscription and Pricing
ProtonVPN provides customers with plans that have a variety of options at several different price points. Check out their current plans, features, and pricing:
|Monthly Plan Cost||Annual Plan Cost||30-Day, Money-Back Guarantee||Available Servers||Devices|
|Basic||$4 per month||$48 every 12 months||Yes||55||2|
|Plus||$8 per month||$96 every 12 months||Yes||55||5|
|Visionary||$24 per month||$288 every 12 months||Yes||55||10|
They also have monthly, annual, and two-year payment options available for all of their paid plans. By committing to a longer service, customers have the chance to save up to 30 percent on their chosen plan. For customers who want to try out the service, they have a free option available with limited features, servers, and device connections. Free and Basic plans are also incompatible when trying to stream Netflix.
The upgraded plans have access to specific servers with Secure Core, which keeps network-based attacks at bay by transferring data to several servers before leaving the network. Premium and Visionary plans also offer customers the most features. In addition to higher speeds and more device connections, customers also get the following depending on the chosen plan:
- Access to streaming services with Secure Core VPN
- TOR over VPN (provides more anonymity with your browsing)
- Access to blocked content
- ProtonMail (encrypted email services)
ProtonVPN is slightly different from other VPN providers like NordVPN, Surfshark, or Hotspot Shield since they offer a basic plan ($4 per month with annual payment). For ProtonVPN’s premium option ($8 per month with annual plan), customers can see features comparable to the above-mentioned VPNs, including streaming capabilities and no-logging options. Similar plans at NordVPN start at $11.95 per month, while Surfshark and Hotspot Shield charge over $12 per month for premium options. However, NordVPN and Surfshark’s annual plans start at $4.92 and $6.67 per month, respectively, while ProtonVPN charges $8 per month.
ProtonVPN VPN Deals in 2021
ProtonVPN offers customers the chance to save between 20-30 percent when choosing a one- or two-year payment at checkout. For instance, if you decide to stick it out for a year with the Plus plan, monthly amounts go from $10 to $8. In the end, you save around $24 and keep your total costs under $100. The two-year option offers the most price reductions with each paid plan and saves $81 on ProtonVPN’s premium plan by bringing the price to $6.63 per month.
While ProtonVPN currently doesn’t offer any military or student discounts, they have a free alternative.
ProtonVPN VPN Free Trial
ProtonVPN provides a free trial with limitations to users who want to try out their services or want protection but have a strict budget. The free plan lets customers connect one device and access three servers. Customers also share no-logging benefits and are guaranteed at least medium strength speeds (paid customers can get up to 10 Gbps speeds for certain plans). While there’s no data or time limit on the free plan, users may experience slower speeds while using the VPN compared to paying customers.
How to Cancel ProtonVPN
ProtonVPN requires customers to contact the service department to cancel their accounts. This can be difficult since ProtonVPN only offers support through email and has no live chat or phone services available.
Current and past customers have expressed mixed reports on ProtonVPN’s customer service, ranging from needing improvement to well done. If you need to cancel services, ProtonVPN offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee with conditions — customers must request the refund through customer service, and ProtonVPN prorates the amount for the unused days.
Is ProtonVPN Any Good?
ProtonVPN’s story starts with CERN, which is where the founding members met. On the 25th anniversary of the internet, the team created ProtonMail to help bring back online privacy and thus led the way to ProtonVPN as it is today. Their mission of protecting ProtonMail users’ privacy has helped further shield new customers accessing the web around the world. With strict no-logging policies, a free plan with no data limits, and streaming capabilities, ProtonVPN serves as a viable VPN for anyone looking to increase their online security.