Expert Overview of T-Mobile‘s Services
T-Mobile is one of the largest cellular carriers operating in the U.S. As of April 1, 2020 , T-Mobile completed its long-awaited merger with Sprint, enhancing its network capacity more than tenfold. As a result, T-Mobile is leading the pack in terms of nationwide 5G coverage. The company offers traditional wireless service as well as a variety of mobile broadband solutions. While the company is best-known for its “Un-carrier” movement, you can expect to find the same range of hardware you’d see from the other major cellular carriers, including the latest iPhone and Android devices such as the Samsung Galaxy.
T-Mobile Network and Broadband Services Explained
T-Mobile’s mobile broadband services extend to stand-alone devices such as tablets and hotspots, and is also available as an add-on to your cellular data plan. This allows you to tether your smartphone’s data connection in order to share it with your other devices. The company’s mobile broadband uses a mix of its existing 2G, 3G, and 4G LTE network along with its newly rolled out 5G network.
Residential broadband service is also available through T-Mobile Home Internet, a new service offering customers access to 5G speeds at home. Access to this service is limited as it’s only available in areas where T-Mobile offers this speed.
A Quick Look at T-Mobile’s Plans and Prices
T-Mobile offers six plan types: three unlimited plans and three prepaid plans. The unlimited and prepaid plans seem extremely similar as both offer unlimited talk, text, and data. The difference lies in the soft data cap placed on each plan type, cost, and extra features included per plan.
T-Mobile’s Unlimited Plans:
- Essentials — Unlimited talk and text is included, but speeds may be throttled after using 50 GB of 4G data per month.
- Magenta — Offers more premium data per month than the Essentials plan (up to 100 GB), and includes a free Netflix basic account for plans with two or more lines.
- Magenta Max — While it’s the most expensive of the three unlimited plan options, there is no soft cap on 4G data. Netflix Standard is included for plans with two or more lines.
The service’s prepaid plans can be a bit confusing to differentiate. There are three categories for prepaid plans, one of which is dedicated as a stand-alone mobile internet plan:
- T-Mobile connect — Introduced in 2020, T-Mobile Connect offers unlimited talk and text with 2.5 or 5.5 GB of data per month. It’s the provider’s lowest-priced prepaid plan, with prices starting at $15 per month or $25 a month if you opt for the 5.5 GB data cap.
- Simply Prepaid — Under this title, T-Mobile offers three plans: 10 GB, Unlimited, and Unlimited Plus. The unlimited prepaid plans have a smaller soft cap (50 GB per month) compared to the postpaid unlimited plans. You also miss out on a free Netflix account and free international texting and calling.
- Mobile Internet plans are also available prepaid as stand-alone plans if you only need portable internet. These plans offer up to 50 GB data for up to $50 per month.
To get a better understanding of what each plan offers, their costs, and who it’s best for, read our T-Mobile Plans and Pricing page.
Current T-Mobile Promotions and Deals
T-Mobile frequently runs special promotional deals and bundles for both new and existing customers. These are most common during major holidays, but you can almost always find some variation of these deals throughout the year. This includes promotional financing on the newest devices such as the latest Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy smartphones, as well as discounted rates on additional lines and data plans.
Military members (active and veteran), first responders, and those ages 55+ get at least 10 percent off unlimited plans. Visit our T-Mobile deals page to find out which deals are offered this month and who’s eligible for them.
T-Mobile Coverage and Availability
As you can see from the coverage map above, T-Mobile has service availability across a large swath of the mainland U.S. Their service footprint is weakest in the west and northwest, though expansion plans are underway to improve reception in these areas. Combining with the Sprint network, T-Mobile has expanded it’s 4G LTE service to 99 percent of the country and claims 80 percent of the population has access to its 5G network.
T-Mobile Customer Service and Satisfaction
T-Mobile customer service is available from 4 a.m.-9 a.m. PT and is accessible through a number of different ways, including:
- Dialing 611 using your T-Mobile phone
- Texting customer service via the T-Mobile app or via My T-Mobile (available online)
- Scheduling a callback through the T-Mobile app or via My T-Mobile
- Calling the provider’s general customer and technical support number at 1-800-937-8997
Prior to COVID-19, T-Mobile’s team of experts (customer service representatives) were available 24/7. Though the hours changed, wait times are often short.
T-Mobile’s customer care consistently earns the top spot in J.D. Power’s U.S. Wireless Customer Care Mobile Network Operator Performance study. The 2021 study is the 21st time in which T-Mobile ranked above AT&T, Verizon, and other competitors . Reviews from our readers rate T-Mobile a 3.48 out of 5 stars.
T-Mobile Company Information
T-Mobile is the brand name used by Deutsche Telekom AG, a telecommunications company based in Germany. The company is active in many nations, including Austria, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Poland, as well as the U.S.
Since 2013, T-Mobile has led the mobile broadband industry in unconventional changes such as removing contracts from all its plans and creating benefit and discount programs available to all customers. In that same year T-Mobile quickly expanded its LTE network after acquiring Metro PCS, which is now known as Metro by T-Mobile. The 2020 merger with Sprint has since allowed T-Mobile to be the fastest 5G provider in the U.S. in terms of growth in availability and download/upload speeds .