New to Oakland or just looking to switch your coverage? This Internet Buyer’s Guide offers all the information you need to find the best internet provider for you. From pricing to coverage, deals and speed—this guide will ensure you find the best internet service plan for your home or business.
Residential Internet Providers in Oakland, CA
|Provider||Starting Price||Speed Range||Type Of Internet||Coverage Availability|
|XFINITY from Comcast||$34.99/mo.||50-1200 Mbps||Cable||99% Cable|
|EarthLink||$49.95/mo.||7-1000 Mbps||DSL and Fiber||99% DSL and Fiber|
|AT&T Internet||$35/mo.||100-940 Mbps||IPBB and Fiber||98% IPBB and Fiber|
|Sonic||$39.99/mo.||20-2000 Mbps||DSL and Fiber||35% DSL and Fiber|
The table above summarizes Oakland internet providers with the greatest coverage locally.
Fastest Internet Providers in Oakland, CA
|Provider||Maximum Speed||Price Range|
|XFINITY from Comcast||1200 Mbps||$34.99-94.99/mo.|
|AT&T Internet||940 Mbps||$35-60/mo.|
The providers above offer the fastest download speeds currently available to Oakland residents.
What type of internet is available in Oakland?
With so many options in Oakland, customers have their pick of DSL, Cable, Fiber-Optic, Fixed Wireless or Satellite Internet.
- DSL: Offering some of the less expensive plans, DSL is a budget-friendly option that uses existing phone lines to connect customers to the internet. While not ideal for heavy use like working from home, it’s great for light internet use.
- Cable: Connecting you to the internet through your TV’s cable cords, cable is a popular option for many customers. With cable packages, TV and internet plans are generally less expensive.
- Fiber-Optic: Considerably faster than other internet options, fiber is ideal for heavy use, gaming, streaming, and video uploading and downloading. While it can be more expensive than other technologies, it offers the fastest internet available in Oakland.
- Fixed Wireless: Unlike cable or fiber-optic options, fixed cable connects you to the internet wirelessly through an antenna or dish.
- Satellite: For those with limited broadband access, satellite offers a great solution with the use of a dish on the roof or balcony to connect you to the internet easily.
While there are a number of options available to customers in Oakland, not all areas have access to the internet types listed above.
How do I find the cheapest internet option in Oakland?
With a total of 45 internet providers in Oakland—16 residential providers and 29 business providers—customers have many different options when it comes to choosing an internet service. Raw Bandwidth Communications, XFINITY from Comcast and AT&T Fiber offer some of the lowest prices packages, with some plans starting at only $34.99/month.
Cheapest internet in Oakland
- XFINITY from Comcast—$34.99/mo. for up to 50 Mbps *
- AT&T Internet—$35/mo. for up to 300 Mbps *
- Raw Bandwidth Communications—$39.95/mo. for up to 12 Mbps *
- HughesNet—$39.99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
- Sonic—$39.99/mo. for up to 20 Mbps *
How Much Internet Speed Do I Need In Oakland?
How much speed you’ll need varies greatly depending on your personal needs and use. With a large percentage of the city’s population telecommuting and/or working for startups or tech companies in nearby San Francisco and Silicon Valley, over 80 percent of households in Oakland have a broadband internet subscription.
Telecommuters, especially those in the tech industry, who may need overseas teleconferencing, video uploads and other high-demand speeds will benefit from the city’s fiber availability, with 58 percent of the city having access to fiber, which can reach speeds up to 1,000 Mbps. University students and those who may be doing a large amount of online streaming or gaming will benefit from internet speeds around 100 Mbps. Those who will only be using the internet for light browsing, email and the like, will require minimum speeds up to 25 Mbps.
Below are the recommended download speeds based on frequent internet activities and the residential providers in Oakland that offer these speeds.
|Recommended Speeds||Type of Internet Activities||Internet Providers in Oakland|
How do I find the fastest internet in Oakland?
The fastest internet in Oakland can be found through fiber and fixed wireless providers. XFINITY from Comcast is the fastest provider in the city with speeds up to 1200 Mbps with prices starting at $94.99/month. EarthLink Fiber offers speeds up to 1000 Mbps with packages starting at $99.95/month.
Should I bundle TV or phone service in Oakland?
AT&T Internet and AT&T Fiber offer double and triple play bundles in Oakland. For those who need phone, TV, and internet, bundling can be cost-efficient with Triple Play options, while those who use the internet to stream video and entertainment, may only need a standalone internet plan. Depending on your needs, there are several packages available to you that you can discuss directly with your provider.
Bundled Cable Plans and Pricing in Oakland
|Internet Providers in Oakland||Services||Price Range of Bundles|
|AT&T Internet||Internet + TV||$109.99-129.99/mo.|
How can I compare the major internet providers in Oakland?
Whether you’re new to the area and looking for an internet service provider or are a longtime resident just browsing for a new plan, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
- Price: Consider the price points of each plan and what works for your budget. Decide on a price you’re comfortable with when you start to shop, as prices can vary greatly for internet service in Oakland.
- Speed: Whether you’re a video editor who works from home or you’re a university student just looking to watch Netflix in the evenings, having an idea of your speed needs will allow you to shop for the best option.
- Data Caps: Track how much data you’re currently using monthly to see what your current data needs will be. Some providers have lower caps that work well for light internet users, while others allow for high or unlimited data caps.
- Contracts: Most internet providers in Oakland will require a minimum of a 1-year contract to connect service. For students, short-term residents or those looking to move soon, contract-free plans are available.
What do I need to keep in mind when moving to Oakland?
Whether you just landed a dream job at the nearby Pixar Animation Studios or are finishing your last year at Samuel Merritt University, there is a package that will work for you. But there are a few key things to keep in mind when looking for a new internet service provider in Oakland.
If you’re moving to Oakland and enjoy the services from your current internet service provider, check with them to see if they service the Oakland area and if your plan is transferable to your new address. If not, keep in mind possible early termination fees, additional charges or penalties that may be incurred when you cancel.
Cancellation fees tend to be a common contractual fee with most providers and can vary greatly depending on the type, length, and price of plan. Check directly with your internet provider to see what charges you’ll have to pay to cancel your current plan. In Oakland, cancellation and early termination fees can range from $0-400.
While most internet service providers in Oakland require a 1-2 years, if you’re looking for something short term or contract-free, there are options available from XFINITY from Comcast and AT&T Internet. Whichever provider you choose, be sure to read the contract thoroughly to be sure it works for you.
Installation Fees in Oakland
Installation fees are an unavoidable part of signing up with a new internet provider. Prices can range depending on the type of internet you select and can vary depending on whether you’ll need extras like professional satellite installation or can save money by installing your own modem.
How much data do you need for your home or business internet in Oakland?
Data needs will depend greatly on how your household or business is using the internet. If you have a home office, work in the tech industry, or do a lot of video streaming and online gaming, you’ll want to find a package that offers high or unlimited data caps. Viasat Internet and EarthLink offer unlimited data plans, while Etheric Networks and XFINITY from Comcast offer up to 1 TB of data or higher.
What are the most-connected neighborhoods in Oakland?
For the most-connected areas, the Northern Oakland neighborhoods of Hoover/Foster, Clawson and Longfellow generally have 4-6 providers that service the area. Around Lake Merritt and east toward the Glennview and Lincoln Highlands neighborhoods, you’ll find 4-5 providers servicing the area. Most neighborhoods in Oakland will have 5-6 providers to choose from, as approximately 0.99% of Oakland residents are serviced by multiple providers.
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
Internet Statistics for Oakland, California
Home to telecommuters, university students and tech employees, Oakland is a well-connected city with significant internet infrastructure already built throughout. Here, the most prevalent hardwired broadband options are DSL and fiber, with more than 98 percent and 70 percent availability, respectively. With the prevalence of fiber, internet speeds in Oakland are about 51 percent above the California average. For those without a fiber connection, fixed wireless options are also available to essentially 100 percent of the city with speeds comparable to cable and fiber. Due to this well-built internet infrastructure, Oakland is the 33rd most-connected city in the state ahead of Emeryville, Alameda, Berkeley, and Orinda. The city is so well connected, only 4,000 Oakland residents have one or fewer options for residential internet service.