Most Popular Residential Internet Providers in Boston, Massachusetts
Internet Access in Boston, Massachusetts
The average download speed in Boston is 150.43 Mbps. This is 7.8% faster than the average in Massachusetts and 37.9% faster than the national average.
- There are 37 internet providers in Boston with 12 of those offering residential service
- Boston is the 6th most connected city in Massachusetts ahead of Roxbury Crossing, Roxbury, Dorchester Center, Dorchester, and Charlestown.
- 97.4% of Massachusettsans have access to 100mbps or faster broadband.
- The average internet download speed in Massachusetts is 139.54 mbps.
- Massachusetts is the 5th most connected state in the U.S.
- In Suffolk County, approximately 21,000 people do not have access to 25mbps wired broadband.
- Fiber optic internet is available to 42% of Suffolk County residents.
- There are 32 companies offering business internet services in Boston.
- Explore internet access for communities within Boston: Roxbury
- The fastest zip code in Boston for April 2021 is 02127. (see all below).
Internet Statistics 2021
1.3% of consumers in Boston2,000 People Only have access to 1 or fewer wired internet providers available at their address.
This data is calculated from FCC datasets which providers are legally required to supply twice a year. We further validate this data for accuracy.
Are you a journalist or researcher writing about this topic?
Contact us and we'll connect you with a broadband market expert on our team who can provide insights and data to support your work.
Summary Of Fastest Internet Providers In Boston, Massachusetts
|Provider||Speed||Type||Time To Download 1 GB|
|XFINITY from Comcast||2,000 Mbps||Cable and Fiber||4s|
|Cox Communications||1,000 Mbps||Cable||8s|
|Starry Internet||200 Mbps||Fiber||40s|
|Viasat Internet (formerly Exede)||100 Mbps||Satellite||1m 21s|
|HughesNet||25 Mbps||Satellite||5m 27s|
Summary of Internet Providers Availability in Boston, Massachusetts
- Xfinity - 100.0% Availability in Boston - Speeds up to 2,000 Mbps
- RCN - 71.6% Availability in Boston - Speeds up to 1,000 Mbps
- Starry Internet - 36.4% Availability in Boston - Speeds up to 200 Mbps
- netBlazr - 8.6% Availability in Boston - Speeds up to 500 Mbps
- Cox - 2.1% Availability in Boston - Speeds up to 1,000 Mbps
- Viasat - 100.0% Availability in Boston - Speeds up to 100 Mbps
- HughesNet - 100.0% Availability in Boston - Speeds up to 25 Mbps
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
- Allston, MA
- Auburn, MA
- Brighton, MA
- Brookline, MA
- Cambridge, MA
- Charlestown, MA
- Chelsea, MA
- Dorchester, MA
- Dorchester Center, MA
- Everett, MA
- Hingham, MA
- Hull, MA
- Mattapan, MA
- Milton, MA
- North Weymouth, MA
- Quincy, MA
- Revere, MA
- Roslindale, MA
- Roxbury, MA
- Roxbury Crossing, MA
- Somerville, MA
- Weymouth, MA
- Winthrop, MA
Summary Of Internet Providers In Boston
|Starry Internet||Fiber and Fixed Wireless||98.5%+||200 Mbps|
|netBlazr||Fiber and Fixed Wireless||100%||500 Mbps|
|XFINITY from Comcast||Cable and Fiber||100%||2,000 Mbps|
|Cox Communications||Cable||2.1%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Viasat Internet (formerly Exede)||Satellite||100%||100 Mbps|
|Comcast Business||Cable||100%||1,000 Mbps|
|netBlazr||Fixed Wireless||100%||500 Mbps|
|CenturyLink Business||Fiber||98.0%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Verizon Business||Fiber and Copper||97.4%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Crown Castle Fiber||Fiber||100%||1,000 Mbps|
|North Atlantic Networks||Fiber||100%||1,000 Mbps|
|Cogent Communications||Fiber||99.4%+||1,000 Mbps|
|TPx Communications||Copper||97.4%+||100 Mbps|
|GTT Communications||DSL||97.4%+||8 Mbps|
|USAi.net||Fixed Wireless||97.0%+||0.768 Mbps|
|RCN Business||Fiber||60.9%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Google Fiber Webpass||Copper||42.0%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Towerstream||Fixed Wireless||25.9%+||1,000 Mbps|
|TCC Networks||Fixed Wireless||11.7%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Fusion Connect||Fiber||3.0%+||100 Mbps|
|Cincinnati Bell Business||Fiber||1.2%+||250 Mbps|
|Cox Business||Cable||2.1%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Global Cloud Xchange||Copper||2.1%+||151 Mbps|
|M2 nGage||Fiber||1.7%+||1,000 Mbps|
|Spectrum Business||Fiber||1.0%+||100 Mbps|
Customer Reviews of Internet Providers in Boston
Terrible customer service
Xfinity has terrible customer service. They make it extremely hard to speak to a live agent on the phone when you have questions and concerns that are not directly addressed by the automated messages when you call their customer service line. They do not treat returning customers well and I think I spend way too much money a month on their internet and cable services to not be able to speak to a customer service agent when there is an issue with something on my bill. Truly disappointed by Xfinity and how they treat loyal customers. Also the service has gotten significantly worse over the years.
Solid but unexciting Internet service
We've used Verizon for Internet service for over five years. Positives: Very reliable - almost no down times. Customer service, on the few occasions where I've needed it, has been quick and helpful. Reasonable cost. Negatives: I just ran a speed test. Download -- 4.83 Mbps Upload -- .71 Mbps. That's pretty meh in a major metro area.