If you’re new to San Jose, California, or just looking for a new internet provider, this comprehensive Internet Buyer’s Guide will help you navigate the Capital of Silicon Valley. Equipped with a variety of important broadband details, this guide will help find the best internet in San Jose for your household or business based on pricing, coverage, speeds, and data caps.
Residential Internet Providers in San Jose, CA
|Provider||Starting Price||Speed Range||Type Of Internet||Coverage Availability|
|AT&T Internet||$55/mo.||100-940 Mbps||IPBB, Fiber||100% IPBB, 69% Fiber|
|XFINITY from Comcast||$29.99/mo.||50-1200 Mbps||Cable||100% Cable|
|EarthLink||$49.95/mo.||7-1000 Mbps||DSL, Fiber||100% DSL, 68% Fiber|
|Sonic||$39.99/mo.||20-80 Mbps||DSL||41% DSL|
The table above summarizes San Jose internet providers with the greatest coverage locally.
Fastest Internet Providers in San Jose, CA
|Provider||Maximum Speed||Price Range|
|XFINITY from Comcast||1200 Mbps||$29.99-84.99/mo.|
|EarthLink Fiber||1000 Mbps||$49.95-99.95/mo.|
|AT&T Fiber||940 Mbps||$55-80/mo.|
The providers above offer the fastest download speeds currently available to San Jose residents.
What type of internet is available in San Jose?
In San Jose, internet users have a number of connection types to choose from, including DSL, Cable, Fiber-Optic, Satellite, and Fixed Wireless.
- DSL: DSL is one of the most affordable internet options available in San Jose, but its speeds are generally slower than cable or fiber. This choice is perfect for light internet users looking to spend less on their monthly bill.
- Cable: Offering some of the fastest available speeds, cable internet uses the same coaxial cables that are connected to your television set. In San Jose, some cable providers can nearly match fiber internet download speeds; however, cable internet cannot offer the same lightning upload speeds as fiber can.
- Fiber-Optic: While fiber-optic is still generally less available than DSL and cable networks, it reaches mirrored upload/download speeds of 1000 Mbps.
- Satellite: Satellite internet is widely available in San Jose. While the available connection speeds are not as fast as cable or fiber, it is a great option for those residing in rural areas.
- Fixed Wireless: Fixed wireless is a common internet type in San Jose. It requires a direct line-of-site to a physical connection point. In San Jose, fixed wireless providers offer speeds up to 300 Mbps.
Depending on where you live or work, you may not have access to all internet types listed above.
How do I find the cheapest internet option in San Jose?
Among the 61 internet providers in San Jose—21 residential and 40 business—Wave Broadband, Raw Bandwidth Communications and XFINITY from Comcast offer some of the area’s cheapest internet-only plans.
Cheapest internet in San Jose
- XFINITY from Comcast—$29.99/mo. for up to 50 Mbps *
- PAXIO—$39.5/mo. for up to 50 Mbps *
- Raw Bandwidth Communications—$39.95/mo. for up to 12 Mbps *
- HughesNet—$39.99/mo. for up to 25 Mbps *
- Sonic—$39.99/mo. for up to 20 Mbps *
How Much Internet Speed Do I Need In San Jose?
In San Jose, how much internet speed you need depends largely on how many people live in your home and how you use the internet. There are many families in San Jose, as well as mixed households with roommates. If you work in the tech industry, it’s likely that you sometimes bring work home. If that’s the case, you don’t want your internet to cause delays or slow you down. Most San Jose residents are looking for the fastest internet for a reasonable price point.
If you are looking for basic internet for light web browsing, checking emails, and using Google Docs, the minimum recommended internet speed is 25 Mbps. On the other hand, if you frequently need to transfer or download large files quickly, you may want to start with speeds of at least 100 Mbps or higher. If you have a large household or business of power internet users, internet plans with speeds up to 1000 Mbps are some of the fastest options in San Jose.
Below are the recommended download speeds based on frequent internet activities and the residential providers in San Jose that offer these speeds.
|Recommended Speeds||Type of Internet Activities||Internet Providers in San Jose|
How do I find the fastest internet in San Jose?
Currently, Google Fiber, XFINITY from Comcast, and EarthLink Fiber offer some of the fastest internet in San Jose with speeds up to 2000 Mbps for select plans. For the fastest upload/download speeds, check to see if a fiber connection is available where you live.
Should I bundle TV or phone service in San Jose?
The option to bundle your TV or phone service with internet in San Jose may be a great financial perk, but not all internet providers offer bundled deals. AT&T Internet and AT&T Fiber are some of the major San Jose providers that offer plans with multiple broadband services.
Bundled Cable Plans and Pricing in San Jose
|Internet Providers in San Jose||Services||Price Range of Bundles|
|AT&T Internet||Internet + TV||$119.99-139.99/mo.|
|AT&T Fiber||Internet + TV||$134.99/mo.|
How can I compare the major internet providers in San Jose?
Finding the right internet provider in San Jose doesn’t have to be difficult. If you know what you are looking for and the factors to be considered, it can be easy to navigate.
- Price: Since San Jose is one of the most expensive places to live in the US, many residents are keenly aware of their monthly expenses. Consider your budget before committing to an internet plan.
- Speed: Take a moment to reflect on your household’s internet usage. Do multiple people spend a significant amount of time streaming or gaming? Or, is the internet rarely used for more than email and light browsing? This will indicate to you what kinds of speeds you need.
- Data Caps: Most fiber and cable internet plans offered in San Jose either have no data cap or a large data cap, which is great for power internet users or large households.
- Contracts: In San Jose, most internet providers will require at least a 1-year contract commitment. However, some companies, like AT&T Internet, offer contract-free plans.
What do I need to keep in mind when moving to San Jose?
As the largest city in Northern California, San Jose cultivates opportunities and growth attributed to its economic efforts, technological advances, and cultural rise. Despite being deemed as one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S, the city continues to attract families, students, young tech workers, and business owners to the area. If you are planning to move to San Jose, setting up your internet service may be at the top of your priority list. You’ll want to keep the following points in mind: how to switch internet providers, early termination fees, and contract lengths.
If you signed a contract with your current provider, check to see if they offer services in San Jose and if you can get your plan transferred to your new home to avoid any cancellation or early termination fees. If that’s not possible, prepare to face cancellation fees and shop for a new provider.
In San Jose, early termination fees range anywhere from $0-400. Many providers have a set early termination fee. However, providers like Xfinity and AT&T Internet require customers who opt out of their contract early to pay a monthly fee for the remaining months on their contract.
Most internet providers in San Jose require a contract ranging between 1-2 years. For contract-free options, AT&T Internet is one of the San Jose providers that allows customers to go contract-free for an extra fee. Before you sign up with a new provider, be sure to thoroughly review the fine print of your contract to avoid costly fees.
Installation Fees in San Jose
Professional installation and self-installation fees vary greatly from provider to provider. In San Jose, professional installation fees can range from $0 to $99.
How much data do you need for your home or business internet in San Jose?
If you live in a large household with moderate to power internet users or own a business that requires heavy internet usage, you will want to select an internet plan in San Jose that has a large data cap or unlimited data. Currently, EarthLink and Viasat Internet are some of the providers that offer plans with unlimited data. More often than not, satellite and fixed wireless plans have the most restrictive data caps.
What are the most-connected neighborhoods in San Jose?
Some of the most internet-connected neighborhoods in San Jose that have access to four or more providers include Japantown, Rose Garden, and North Willow Glen. With Etheric Networks, Cruzio Internet and RazzoLink providing the greatest coverage availability, most areas in San Jose have access to at least three providers.
Internet Providers in Nearby Cities
Internet Statistics for San Jose, California
As the 90th most broadband-connected city in California, San Jose ranks ahead of Sunnyvale, Los Gatos, and Campbell. Fast and reliable internet is a necessity for the city’s large population of university students, tech employees, and families. While most areas in San Jose have at least three providers to choose from, approximately residents only have access to one or zero wired internet providers.